Our goals for this school year.
- To guide students by fostering the idea of Freedom within structure to promote:
- Responsibility and independence
- Preparation to moving into other learning environments
- Students responsibility to self and others
- Time management skills
- Work quality
- Teach respect
- Respect of self and others in environment
- Respect for the others and their property
- Respect for teaching staff
We in turn will:
- Respect and honor your student –kind but firm when needed
- Allow and help child to work independently –helping only when needed
- Keep parents informed about child –academically & socially -successes as well as problems
- Keep parents informed about school happenings –(see attached contact information).
- newsletters –weekly, monthly (from school)
- Internet –e-mail
- Available to meet with parents when not in class
- 8am-4pm at school –if possible call ahead and make appointment
- phone teacher at home
Curriculum: All the basic subjects (math, geometry, spelling, language, grammar and sentence analysis) are taught to students on an individual basis, in either small group lessons or private lessons, Students spend the uninterrupted morning work time working in these areas. The afternoons are spent in specialist time or working on cultural or science work.
Cultural Subjects : Cultural Subjects are taught in a three-year rotational format with the entire class studying a history subject until January and then the various age groupings studying age specific cultural subjects.
- All group studies (year #1) Idaho History/Lewis and Clark/Oregon Trail,
- (year #2) world history up to World War II, (year #3) world history post-World War II.
- 4th year- Early Humans up to Paleo-Americans
- 5th year – Fundamental Needs of Humans to study of Ancient Cultures
- (year 1) Ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians
- (year 2) Ancient Indians, Japanese, Chinese
- (year 3) Ancient Meso-Americans – Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs
- 6th year – Review of fundamental needs to Island Study
Science Subjects:The science subjects are also studied on on 3-year rotation (these subjects also coincide with the focus areas of the 3-year rotation presented by Teton Science School.
- (year 1) Zoology
- (year 2) plant biology
- (year 3) human biology/cells
- Earth Science
- (year 1) volcanoes, geology
- (year 2) weather extremes (Work of Air)
- (uear 3) environmental science/ecology (Work of Water)